A glossary of frequently used terms and descriptions in Roulette :
American Roulette - This wheel has 38 numbers, from 1 to 36 plus 0 and 00. “0″ and “00″ are green in color. Even numbers are red and odd numbers black. With extra “00″ partition the house has an advantage of 5.26%
- Straight bet - A bet on a single number
- Split bet - A bet on 2 adjacent numbers
- Street bet - A bet on 3 numbers on a horizontal line
- Corner bet - A bet on a block of 4 numbers
- Line bet - A bet on 6 numbers in 2 adjacent rows
- Column bet - A bet on 1 of 3 vertical columns of 12 numbers
- Dozen bet - A bet on 12 numbers in a row, (1-12), (13-24) or (25-36)
- Even bet - A bet on even or odd, red or black, low (1-18) or high (19-36)
- Inside Bet - A wager placed on any individual or combination of numbers on the roulette table layout including 0 or 00. For example inside bets include: single number bets, 2-3-4-5-number bets, 6-number bets, Corner bets, Split bets, Straight bets and Trio bets etc.
- Outside Bet - A bet on Red, Black, Odd, Even, High (19 to 36) or Low numbers (1 to 18). Essentially any non inside bets are outside bets. For example outside bets include: Columns bets, Dozens bets, Even or Odd bets, High or Low bets and Red or Black bets.
European Roulette - This wheel has 37 numbers, from the 1 to 36 and 0. With only one zero the house has an advantage of 2.70% or half that of the American Roulette wheel.
“En Prison” Rule - With many European Roulette casinos, if you have made an even-money outside bet and the ball lands on the zero (0), you either lose half the bet or your bet is “imprisoned” and you have to let it ride on the next spin. The casino edge on this bet is cut in half to 1.35% which makes it one of the best bets in the casino and almost four times better than the same bet when it’s made on a standard American double-zero roulette wheel. Of note the “En Prision” rule is somewhat similar to the Atlantic City casino rule used by some American Roulette casinos.
Neighbors - Phrase used to signify the numbers immediately to the left and right of the winning number.
Parlay / Press - This is where you leave your previous round winnings on top of your current bet.
Toke - Short for ‘token’. A tip a player gives to the dealer.
Wheel Checks - Special unmarked chips that are used on physical roulette tables.